INF 322 Week 1 DQ 1 Databases
Databases. Everyone has had some experience with data. Even if you are new to the Database world you have this experience since your personal information is data in many places. List an example of a database and how you interact with that database. One example might be as a customer receiving monthly bills. Another example might be your personal information collected at a medical office. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings.
INF 322 Week 1 DQ 2 Running Access
Running Access. If you have not already done so, install Microsoft Access 2010 (this is a free 60-day trial for MS Office Professional 2010). In the response to this forum, note that you have successfully installed the product and what you experienced in the install and as you first opened the tool. We will all start with a sample database to get familiar with Access in Week 2. If you have any issues or unexpected results, this is a great place to share your experience. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings.
INF 322 Week 2 DQ 1 Improved Processes
Improved Processes. Databases are installed to help solve problems, improve processes, or provide a benefit to the organization. Do you have a scenario that you can share where you believe a Database helped/could help improve a process at your work or at another organization with which you are familiar? It can be for a new application or to replace an existing application or process. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings.
INF 322 Week 2 DQ 2 Interviewing the Users
Interviewing the Users. This week’s reading contained a section on interviewing the users. Why is this process important? Think about who uses the tool, what they use it for, and what is important for them to get the job done. Have you ever been involved in any of these types of interviews? If so, share your experience. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings.
INF 322 Week 2 Database Modeling
Database Modeling. After reading this week’s article, “Modeling for the Future,” expand on the subject of Database Modeling. There are several tools listed and reviewed in the article. Research these tools further, or identify other modeling tools, and write a 2-3 page, APA-style paper focused on one tool of your choice. You are allowed to compare tools, but apply your findings and comparison to your research as if you were selecting the tool for use at your employer. What are the benefits and the possible shortcomings of using the tool? How would this tool help you meet your database modeling needs? Be sure to integrate vocabulary from the text to demonstrate your understanding of concepts.
INF 322 Week 3 DQ 1 Keys
Keys. Why is a Key important in a database? How does it help with Referential Integrity? Chapter 8 lists three compelling reasons why Keys are crucial to table structure. There is an example of a table and its’ key in Figure 8.2. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings.
INF 322 Week 3 DQ 2 Determining System Requirements
Determining System Requirements. Identify the database or process you would like to begin to think about for your future database design. After you have developed a database idea, you need to plan the interviewing of your users. Interviewing will give you a better understanding of user needs, wants, and desires, as well as help you to determine your system requirements. What questions should you ask? How do you think this will help you in determining your table and field requirements? When do you think it would be important to make these decisions? Respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings.
Customer Service Database. Show a SQL Query and screenshot your results in a Word document to submit to your instructor. There will be 4 results with explanations required for this assignment.
INF 322 Week 3 Assignment Customer Service Database
1. Create a “Customer Service Database” using New in MS Access and select from Microsoft Online on left, double-click business and then double click on “Customer Service.” On right, click Download. (**Note: The Customer Service Database is no longer available as part of MS Access 2010. Please download the zip file of the database within the online course).
2. This will create a file on your hard drive called “customer service.accdb”. It will also open this file in Access. If you get a security warning, you can click on the security warning in Access option and set the selection to enable content and click ok.
3. Maximize the Shutter Bar to show the tables, queries/views and reports. Note: You are not seeing tables in this view and that can be changed. Click on the down arrow in the shutter view next to the database name “Customer Service” and click on “Tables and Related Views”
1. Save your database.
2. You should now be able to use MS Access and the database created to complete the assignment.
1. Add 10 customers to the database.
2. Using SQL query, update one customer. Show before and after data as well as the SQL Code.
3. Add an eleventh customer and then delete them with a SQL Query, Show before and after data as well as the
4. Write a report showing your customers identify the primary key in the table you are reporting on. Show the
results of your Report via a screen shot.
5. Upload a copy of the database using “Customer Service” and student First and Last name as the file name.
All data and screen shots should be included in a word document with a brief explanation of the actions you performed.
INF 322 Week 4 DQ 1 Table Relationships
Table Relationships. Chapter 10 discusses table relationships. Define one type of relationship (one-to-one, one-to-many, many-to-many and self-referencing relationships) and provide an example of this type of data relationship. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings.
INF 322 Week 4 DQ 2 Business Rules
Business Rules. There is a great deal of information to consider when planning business rules. Now that you have read Chapter 11, think of a business rule from a place you have been employed at and use that in an example. This could be around defining user access or field specific data, deciding if a field is required or if a field has data validation. How effective was the application of the business rule? Please be specific in your example. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings.
INF 322 Week 5 DQ 1 Views
Views. There are three types of views. Pick one of them and provide a definition, an example of that type of view, and when you would use the view. If you have ever purchased anything online and returned to the vendor Web site, many views of data will be accessible when you login, including your previous orders, their catalog of product, and even your shipping and credit card information. Think of examples like this before you respond. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings.
INF 322 Week 5 DQ 2 Bending the Rules
Bending the Rules. Chapter 15 discusses bending or breaking the rules. Can you think of a situation where you would apply this practice? List an example and which rule you would be bending or breaking. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ postings.
INF 322 Week 5 Final Project
Focus of the Final Project
1. Use the Access database you created in Week 3: Customer Service Database 2. Output 3 queries using SQL code and not the standard access view:
A query on all contacts in the customers table showing first name, last name, address, e-mail address and three additional fields from the table.
An update query that changes one or more customer records but not all records.
A delete query that removes one or more customer records but not all records.
1. Using SQL commands, add a new field called Birthday to the Customers table. Populate some of the fields with data.
2. Report on Customers in Database showing Names, State, and Phone Numbers.
3. Create a report showing contact name and birthdays. Do not show records without a birthday.
4. Analyze the data populated in the Database to show referential integrity. This includes a statement showing what
the affected tables in each dataset are and how they are impacted in the case of an addition of data or a deletion of
5. All data and screen shots should be included in a Word document with a brief explanation of the actions you
Carefully review the Grading Rubric in the online classroom for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.
This product hasn't received any reviews yet. Be the first to review this product!