Read the following instructions in order to complete this assignment, and review the example of how to complete the math required for this assignment:
- Read problem 46 on page 240 of Elementary and Intermediate Algebra.
- Assign a variable to each type of rocker Ozark Furniture makes.
- Write a linear inequality which incorporates the given information of total board feet and the board feet required for each type of rocker.
- On scratch paper draw a graph of the inequality so that you have this visual to go by as you discuss the graph in your writing. A scanned copy of this graph may be attached with your essay, but is not required.
Write a two to three page paper that is formatted in APA style and according to the Math Writing Guide. Format your math work as shown in the Instructor Guidance and be concise in your reasoning. In the body of your essay, please make sure to include:
- Your solution to the above problem, making sure to include all mathematical work.
- A discussion on what this graph looks like. Include information about the intercepts, the type of line needed, direction of the line, and region(s) shaded to fulfill the inequality. Any details which are pertinent to know about the graph should be mentioned.
- An application of the findings in this graph. For example, pick a point in the shaded area and give its coordinates, and then discuss what those numbers mean in terms of rockers and board feet of lumber. Pick a point outside of the shaded area and do the same thing. Pick a point right on the line and discuss the same details. Be specific.
- An evaluation of the following: A chain furniture store faxes an order for 175 modern rocking chairs and 125 classic rocking chairs. Will Ozark Furniture be able to fill this order with the current lumber on hand? If yes, how much lumber will they have left? If no, how much more lumber would they need to fill the order?
For information regarding APA samples and tutorials, visit the Ashford Writing Center, within the Learning Resources tab on the left navigation toolbar.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.