Read the following instructions in order to complete his assignment, and review the example of how to complete the math required for this assignment, and review the example of how to complete the math required for this assignment:
- Read problem 98 on page 371 of Elementary and Intermediate Algebra. Along with factoring, this problem also requires the use of the Pythagorean Theorem to solve it.
- On your scratch paper draw a diagram which includes the location of Castle Rock and the dimensions of a triangle with the given number of paces. Seeing the relationship of the sides and where the right angle is will help you know how to apply the Theorem. You may include the diagram in your paper but are not required to do so.
- Write the equation first by inserting the given binomials into the Pythagorean Theorem. Once you have your equation written, go ahead and solve it using the methods from section 5.6 ofElementary and Intermediate Algebra.
Write a two to three page paper that is formatted in APA style and according to the Math Writing Guide. Format your math work as shown in the Instructor Guidance and be concise in your reasoning. In the body of your essay, please make sure to include:
- Your solution to the above problem, making sure to include all mathematical work, and an explanation for each step.
- If there is more than one solution to the quadratic equation, be sure you indicate which one is the best solution for this application problem and why. Translate the polynomial measurements of the triangle to paces according to your solution.
- Read this discussion on how GPS works, at howstufffworks.com. Apply your understanding of the mathematical concepts explored in problem 98 to a discussion on navigation in general.
- Incorporate the following four math vocabulary words into your writing. Use bold font to emphasize these words in your writing (Do not write definitions for the words; use them appropriately in sentences describing your math work.):
- Zero factor
- Pythagorean Theorem
- Compound equation
For information regarding APA samples and tutorials, visit the Ashford Writing Center, within the Learning Resources tab on the left navigation toolbar.
Carefully review the Grading Rubric for the criteria that will be used to evaluate your assignment.