Week 1 DQ1
Accounting and the Business Environment
In this discussion, you are assigned two rational expressions with which you will then do a variety of math work. Remember that each polynomial must be fully factored and that you can only cancel factors; you cannot cancel terms. Read the following instructions in order and view theexample to complete this discussion:
- Find your two rational expressions in the list below based on your first initial.
- Find the domain of each of the rational expressions. (Identify which values of x will make the denominator zero and thus are not allowed in the domain.)
- Divide your first rational expression by the second one. Write the answer in lowest terms.
- Find and state the common denominator between the two expressions. Build up each expression so that it has the common denominator. (Remember not to do any canceling at this point since you need those extra factors for the common denominator.)
- Add the two rational expressions together. Factor again if possible, and present the answer in lowest terms.
- Incorporate the following five math vocabulary words into your discussion. Use bold font to emphasize the words in your writing (Do not write definitions for the words; use them appropriately in sentences describing your math work.):
- Lowest terms
- Build up
Your initial post should be at least 250 words in length. Support your claims with examples from required material(s) and/or other scholarly resources, and properly cite any references. Respond to at least two of your classmates’ posts by Day 7. Is their work for similar to your own? Did they factor and cancel correctly? Are their answers in lowest terms?